Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hmm....

If there is one thing that I wish that I could change about myself, I wish that I had the ability to detatch my emotions from music. 

I know that sounds really weird, because one of the best things about music is that it allows us to express our emotions.  But this weekend, as I've been going through my iTunes, I started listening to some of the music I haven't heard in a while.  Great stuff, really.  Some of my favorite songs and pieces :)  But I can't get through them without being instantly transported back to where I was in life when that particular song/piece had the most impact of my life.  The emotions and memories are SO vivid and clear.  It's unreal.  And I can't seem to get through a piece without being emotionally torn by it!  On the one hand, I want to love the piece simply for what it is, but on the other hand, I want to hate it because of where it takes me.  So strange.

Anyway... is there a cure for this?  Or will I just get to suffer forever?  And how do you make yourself STOP attaching so much to music?  I really don't want to be 50 years old at my kid's band concert and not be able to stand the music they play because of something that happened while I was in college....

No comments:

Post a Comment